What are anti-wrinkle treatments?
There are two basic types of wrinkles: dynamic and static. They can occur separately or in combination. Dynamic wrinkles appear within the skin due to repeated contractures of the underlying muscles of facial expressions. Static wrinkles appear, regardless of facial dynamics and are largely due to intrinsic changes and external factors such as smoking, sun exposure and gravity.
In order to reduce the appearance of these wrinkles, Botulinum Toxin is injected into the muscle, temporarily relaxing it by blocking the nerve impulses. This stops the muscle from contracting so dynamic wrinkles are not formed. This gives the overlying facial skin a softer, smoother and more youthful appearance.
The areas that I cover are:
- Forehead lines
- Lateral canthal Lines (crows feet)
- Glabella Lines (inner eye frown lines)
The anti-wrinkle brand I use for treatments is Allergen Botox as I feel that these gives my clients the best and most long lasting results. If you have a preferred brand that you would like me to use instead then please let me know and I will be more than happy to accommodate.
How do I prepare for my anti-wrinkle treatment?
You will be required to complete a full medical history and consent form prior to the treatment which will cover a range of questions to ensure that you are suitable for treatment.
Please note if any of the following apply to you, I will be unable to carry out the anti-wrinkle treatment:
- You are pregnant, breastfeeding or have previously had an allergic reaction to dermal fillers.
- You suffer from anaphylaxis or have had an anaphylaxis shock in the past.
- You have had your COVID-19 vaccination in the last four weeks or have it planned for the coming four weeks.
In order to reduce bruising or swelling on the treated area you should:
- Avoid taking blood thinning medication, such as aspirin, warfarin or ibuprofen, for one week prior to your treatment.
- Avoid taking supplements, such as St. Johns Wort, Gingko Biloba, primrose oil, garlic, ginseng or Vitamin E, for two weeks prior to your treatment.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or caffeine for 24 hours prior to your treatment.
Please kindly note that I carry out multiple treatments over the course of the day so it’s very important that you attend your appointment at the scheduled time. Unfortunately, if you are more than 15 minutes late on the day it is possible that I will need to reschedule to prevent a delay for my other clients. If you are running late on the day, then please let me know as soon as possible and I will try my best to accommodate.
What can I expect during the anti-wrinkle procedure?
Before the treatment begins, I will discuss your requirements, carefully study your target areas and map out the injection points. The botulinum toxin will then be injected in these areas which is usually pain-free.
The treatment time usually takes around 20-30 minutes, but this varies depending on the areas being targeted.
Please note that before and after photos need to be taken for insurance purposes and on occasion, for social media posts (providing this has been approved by you beforehand.)
What can I expect after my anti-wrinkle treatment?
After your treatment, the following reactions can be expected:
- Redness – this should decrease over a 24-hour period.
- Bruising – this is temporary. Arnica cream and/or tablets can help to minimise this. Makeup can be applied to cover bruising approximately 4 hours post treatment.
- Tenderness or discomfort – this should decrease over a 72-hour period.
Please follow the below advice in order to have the best results possible:
- Refrain from touching the area or applying makeup for at least 4 hours to prevent the risk of infection.
- Avoid consuming alcohol or caffeine for 24 hours.
- Avoid excessive exercise for 48 hours.
- Stay as upright as possible for 4 hours post treatment to prevent the toxin from migrating.
- Carry out facial exercises to help the toxin settle.
- Make sure you come back for your two-week review to help ensure you get your desired results.
What can I expect over time?
On average, it will take around 14 days to see the desired results but sometimes results can be seen in as little as 3-4 days.
It is recommended that you return for a review 14 days after the initial treatment to see if any additional Toxin is needed. If you require any additional treatment, there will be a small charge of £20 to ensure you have the perfect finish.
The treatment usually lasts between 12-16 weeks depending on the individual.