What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are a soft, injectable gel consisting of hyaluronic acid which exists naturally in the body. The amount of hyaluronic acid in our skin decreases with age, and its subsequent loss results in reduced dermal hydration and an increase in skin wrinkles.
Dermal fillers are used to reduce the appearance of unwanted wrinkles, plump and shape the lips and restore a more youthful appearance. The results of a single treatment can be seen instantly and can last for around 8 to 12 months.
The areas that I cover are:
- Nasolabial folds (nose to mouth lines)
- Marionette lines (mouth to chin lines)
The dermal filler brands that I use for treatments are Nexfill and Regenovue. If you have a preferred brand that you would like me to use instead then please let me know and I will be more than happy to accommodate.
How do I prepare for my dermal filler treatment?
You will be required to complete a full medical history and consent form prior to the lip filler or dermal filler treatment, this will cover a range of questions to ensure that it is safe for you to have the treatment.
Please note if any of the following apply to you, I will be unable to carry out the dermal filler procedure:
- You are pregnant, breastfeeding or have previously had an allergic reaction to dermal fillers.
- You suffer from anaphylaxis or have had an anaphylaxis shock in the past.
- You have had your COVID-19 vaccination in the last four weeks or have it planned for the coming four weeks.
In order to reduce bruising or swelling on the treated area you should:
- Avoid taking blood thinning medication, such as aspirin, warfarin or ibuprofen, for one week prior to your treatment.
- Avoid taking supplements, such as St. Johns Wort, Gingko Biloba, primrose oil, garlic, ginseng or Vitamin E, for two weeks prior to your treatment.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or caffeine for 24 hours prior to your treatment.
Please kindly note that I carry out multiple treatments over the course of the day so it’s very important that you attend your appointment at the scheduled time. Unfortunately, if you are more than 15 minutes late on the day it is possible that I will need to reschedule to prevent a delay for my other clients. If you are running late on the day, then please let me know as soon as possible and I will try my best to accommodate.
What can I expect during the dermal filler procedure?
Before the treatment starts, a topical aesthetic will be applied to make the area as numb as possible. During the treatment, dermal filler with a small amount of lidocaine (numbing ingredient) will be injected into the target area to ensure you feel very little discomfort.
The treatment time usually takes around 30 minutes, but this varies depending on the volume of filler being used and the areas being targeted.
Please note that before and after photos need to be taken for insurance purposes and on occasion, for social media posts (providing this has been approved by you beforehand).
What can I expect after my dermal filler treatment?
After your dermal filler treatment has been completed, the following reactions can be expected:
- Redness – this should decrease over a 24-hour period.
- Swelling – this should decrease after several days. A clean, cold compress can be applied to the treated area to help reduce this.
- Bruising – this is temporary. Arnica cream and/or tablets can help to minimise this. Makeup can be applied to cover bruising approximately 4 hours post treatment.
- Tenderness or discomfort – this should decrease over a 72-hour period.
- Itching – this is temporary but can occur for 7-14 days following treatment. Non-prescription antihistamines may alleviate any itching.
Please follow the below advice to have the best results possible:
- Refrain from touching the area or applying makeup for at least 4 hours to prevent the risk of infection.
- Avoid consuming alcohol or caffeine for 24 hours.
- Avoid excessive exercise for 48 hours.
- Avoid chlorinated water, extremely cold temperatures and intensive sunlight and heat for 14 days.
- Avoid electrolysis, waxing and bleaching on the treated area for 72 hours.
- It is important to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
What can I expect over time?
After your dermal filler treatment, the area can appear swollen and sometimes look uneven due to this. Please note that it takes 2 weeks for the dermal filler to fully settle so please be patient if you do not see your desired results immediately.
The treatment usually lasts between 8-12 months depending on the individual.